Skip to main content

It's Fondue Night...a Review of Our Romantic Traditions

So, tonight is a bittersweet night.

It's bittersweet, simply because fondue night precedes "airport day".

Over the last year and a half, my honey and I have endured the following heart-wrenching airport goodbyes (ranked on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the hardest)

1. ZURICH, CH, JAN 2015 
 7/10
This one was pretty tough. It was our first time seeing each other after our meeting in August.
We adored this trip together; it really set the tone of the relationship...sweet, cheesy (literally) and passionate.

When we said goodbye, I stuffed my face with beautiful, expensive, Swiss chocolates, looked at photos of our trip together, and cried.

This was the delicious beginning of the "goodbye, don't cry, fondue ceremony"


2. MONTREAL, CAN, MARCH 2015
9/10
Ouch! I remember this one!!! This one sucked particularly because Thomas flew in for a mere 5 days to spend time with me.
The gesture was so romantic, spontaneous and John Cusack-y.

Saying goodbye was really hard.

I had anxiety attacks the entire day and almost sent him to the airport alone.
I'm really glad I didn't ditch him (that would be so regrettable).
We added a second part to the goodbye ceremony on this trip: the chicken wing/chicken finger and beer send-off!
Basically, we shovelled chicken and beer down our throats in an attempt to eat and drink away all the feels.
End result: two super bloated International lovers making a huge crybaby scene at the airport.

I was so sad when I got in the taxi, that I got out 2km from my apartment and cry-walked home.
So hard to face his half-eaten bowl of chips and the shirts he left behind.


 This was the first time Tommy Boy met my momma.See the Swiss chocolates in the forefront?!


3. MONTREAL, CAN, MAY 2015
8/10
This one was really rough too.
It was the longest time we had spent together, up until that point.
20 consecutive days.
We went to Barbados for 11 days.
So relaxing and romantic.
We met our first "SHARED" friends.
We ate macaroni and cheese, chicken wings and fish fish cutters.
We drank lots of Mount Gay Rum and played Crazy 8's on our oceanfront balcony.

The good news is that we had a few additional days together in Montreal before he went back to Switzerland.
The bad news is that my heart was feeling like it had glass in it for at least 4 days.


All pasty and pale before we got our tan on under the Bajan sun
True love: when your boyfriend gives up his last fiver to pay for this monkey photo

 

And then the Monkey Man gave him a freebie photo---this remains the cutest photo I have ever seen.


4. Paris, FR, SEPTEMBER 2015
5/10

I think that we would both agree that it was a bit easier to part ways in Paris.
Probably because we were both catching flights.
This, along with a last-minute eye infection that struck me on the way to the airport, provided enough distraction from the heartache.
We couldn't find a place that sold chicken wings, so we just had sandwiches and beer.
Then, we had to track down the pharmacy to get eye drops as I was virtually blind in one eye.

We knew we would see each other again before too long; so this goodbye was probably the easiest!

Sidenote: I just had a flashback...After saying goodbye, I bought two little mini bottles of red wine and chugged them in the airport smoking lounge. Maybe "easy" was a bit of an exaggeration.


I swear we were there!



AND NOW HERE WE ARE.
Another goodbye ceremony is upon us.
I know that tomorrow, after 9 weeks in the company of my soul mate, I will be crushed.
I've gotten so accustomed to him.
Our oddities and quirks just blend so damn perfectly together, and I can't imagine not seeing him after work when I get home.

The good news: we have a plan.
A real plan, that will be disclosed publicly in the coming weeks.

We have survived 600 days as a long-distance couple....what's another 90?!

We got this.

Next step: no more goodbyes, my love. <3



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Your Sparkle Back!!!

  Oh hi! My poor little blog baby, always at the very bottom of the priority ladder. I remember when I first started S&S, I used to write these long journal-esque posts from my desk at Michael Kors (ha! F U corporate world) and it was such a nice little escape from my day. I also used to print up motivational quotes and make these beautiful collages in my notebooks. Still have a few! The good old days. So COVID has returned to Europe with a savage vengeance, and I have no idea what will become of life in the next few weeks. The Swiss government maintained a very relaxed attitude after our first lockdown eased up at the end of April, and they seem determined to avoid a second lockdown at all costs. Our cases are soaring, and things are looking pretty, pretty, pretty not good. But, let's see where this goes. Trying to take it ODAAT. There are a few points I'd like to review quickly before I get back to my 'day job', so here we go: 1. My bestie, Sally Beaton, just publ

I Was A Teenage Anarchist (And Now I'm Just Scared Of Everything...)

Today I wanna talk about the F WORD. FEAR, motherfuckers. Since I was 19, I have struggled with panic disorder and generalized anxiety. Last night, when I was falling asleep, I had a bit of an epiphany while I was doing my reframing exercises. For the past several weeks, I have been doing these nightly exercises, which aim to heal the relationship we have with past traumas. I learnt about this super helpful tool via Dennis Simsek, aka, THE ANXIETY GUY, aka, my current obsession and spirit animal guide! He's freaking amazing. Watch his video on how to reframe, below:  So as I was falling asleep, and making some contact with past versions of myself, I became cognizant of the fact that I used to be a fearless, angsty teenager. ME! Fearless?! It seems like such a foreign concept, but alas, I used to be scared of nada.   I was the girl who would never say no to a dare, who lived for thrills, and who didn't even consider fear when making decisions.  Of course, s

A Typical (hard) Day In The Life

  One thing that I know for sure is this: not all days are created equally. As a most-of-the-time SAHM, I've become familiar with the great days, and the super challenging ones. Each night I go to bed  optimistic that I'm gonna land on a great day the following morning, but with two toddlers going through developmental changes at the same time, the going gets rough! I'm hiding out in the bath as I type this. It's 21:36. Jake fell asleep about 30 minutes ago after a 2 hour long bedtime battle. That kinda day. If you ever wanted to know what it's like to have two toddlers, born 11 months and 22 days apart, here ya go! 6AM. Woke up to Theo poking me and screaming 'Stella! SKY!' (The Paw Patrol girl character, Stella in French, Sky in English, my toddler is fancy and bilingual).  'Sky is in your rubber boot, Honey', I groan as I nudge hubby to get up and let me 'sleep in'. Today I can technically stay in bed until 7, but I don't end up fallin