Skip to main content

The Rise Of The Drunk Mom: A Dangerous Epidemic

The rate of alcohol-related illnesses amongst women is at an all time high. Women are turning to alcohol to soothe their stress, to take the edge off after a long day, and to escape the pressures of motherhood and marriage.

But how much is too much?

Of course, some women exercise moderation while consuming alcohol, but statistics show that these are the outliers. Most women overdo the recommended 1 drink per day guideline, established by the U.S Department of Health and Human Services, which keeps drinking in the "moderate" zone.
So think about it.

One drink per day.
Seven drinks per week.
That is moderate.


Is this the behaviour we want to be modelling for our young girls?

Binge drinking for women comes into play when four or more alcoholic units are consumed in a two-hour period. Accumulate 5 instances of bingeing per month and you are in the heavy alcohol use category.

My first thought? That's everyone I know. Well, almost. I have some very close friends who are super responsible drinkers, or who don't drink at all. When I was a heavy drinker myself, I looked at them with awe, as if they were mystical unicorns or in possession of a super power that I couldn't tap into.

The truth is, many women (sadly, lots of young moms) will continue to drink at dangerous levels without understanding the physiological, physical and emotional repercussions.
Alcohol abuse is a slippery slope, which often starts off as "fun" and social.
Mimosas at brunch! Then a glass of wine or two for lunch! Why not have a few beers on a hot sunny day?
See, drinking is not inherently problematic, IF you aren't abusing it.
The problems start when people are abusing with blind awareness.
The people who, deep down, know that they shouldn't be having that much wine tonight.
The ones that keep telling themselves that next Monday, or on the first of next month, they will detox and the problem will be under control for awhile.
I know this type all too well because it was me.
I kept myself on the hamster wheel for a long, long time.

I come from a pretty booze-free family. Growing up, there was rarely alcohol at home. My parents would buy a big bottle of vodka or rum to make cocktails with at Christmas, and that bottle would sit, for months, for years, in our liquor cabinet, just a few inches emptied from a glass or two of eggnog.

My Dad would have the occasional beer; usually amongst friends when we had a summer BBQ, or when he invited his pals over for a chess match.

And then there was me.

I started drinking at 14, and quickly developed a problematic, chronic binge drinking habit. Drinking was a big part of my life for close to two decades, until I decided to call it quits for good when I became a mother.

So, my concern and interest in the rate of drinking problems among women hits close to home. It is my personal experiences that have inspired me to do research about this epidemic, and try to raise awareness about it's dangers.

Women are being hospitalized for alcohol-related issues at a rate of FIVE TIMES that of men. Yes, my friends, this is a WOMEN'S ISSUE.

Why are we drinking so much? What are we trying to escape? To run from? To cover up?

Why are we glorifying drunkenness?

Why do we brag about our drunken blackouts, our epic hangovers, and how much booze we were able to guzzle the night before?

Why is drinking a "hobby" for so many?

Why are we putting ourselves at risk of a number of unpleasant side effects, namely doing things we wouldn't do sober?

Why are we covering up our awesome, naturally amazing selves with poison that dulls our shine, causes us emotional instability, hormonal fluctuations, heart, liver and brain damages, and not to mention increases our cancer risks?

And why, why, why are we tearing down women who decide to not drink? As if they are "lame" or "boring"?
Why is our reaction to an informative article about how marketing influences women to drink more, "this author needs to calm down and have a glass of wine?"

Look, I don't blame those that have these automatic reactions.
We're totally brain-washed by clever marketing and drinking culture.
Furthermore, I'll never leave out the parts of my "story" where I was the drunkest person I knew. 
I was.
And it's those experiences, in contrast to a life of sobriety, that inspire me to speak out.


I know there are women out there that need to have these conversations. Because I did. And I won't shut up now, cause it's important that we raise awareness about this dangerous epidemic.

P.S. I can't be the only one who is actually enjoying motherhood and raising a child so much that I don't want to be drunk anymore?! Cause he's a better high than wine? How are people not just high off of baby laughs and snuggles?!

Big love and big glasses of sparkling water to all
 <3





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Your Sparkle Back!!!

  Oh hi! My poor little blog baby, always at the very bottom of the priority ladder. I remember when I first started S&S, I used to write these long journal-esque posts from my desk at Michael Kors (ha! F U corporate world) and it was such a nice little escape from my day. I also used to print up motivational quotes and make these beautiful collages in my notebooks. Still have a few! The good old days. So COVID has returned to Europe with a savage vengeance, and I have no idea what will become of life in the next few weeks. The Swiss government maintained a very relaxed attitude after our first lockdown eased up at the end of April, and they seem determined to avoid a second lockdown at all costs. Our cases are soaring, and things are looking pretty, pretty, pretty not good. But, let's see where this goes. Trying to take it ODAAT. There are a few points I'd like to review quickly before I get back to my 'day job', so here we go: 1. My bestie, Sally Beaton, just publ

I Was A Teenage Anarchist (And Now I'm Just Scared Of Everything...)

Today I wanna talk about the F WORD. FEAR, motherfuckers. Since I was 19, I have struggled with panic disorder and generalized anxiety. Last night, when I was falling asleep, I had a bit of an epiphany while I was doing my reframing exercises. For the past several weeks, I have been doing these nightly exercises, which aim to heal the relationship we have with past traumas. I learnt about this super helpful tool via Dennis Simsek, aka, THE ANXIETY GUY, aka, my current obsession and spirit animal guide! He's freaking amazing. Watch his video on how to reframe, below:  So as I was falling asleep, and making some contact with past versions of myself, I became cognizant of the fact that I used to be a fearless, angsty teenager. ME! Fearless?! It seems like such a foreign concept, but alas, I used to be scared of nada.   I was the girl who would never say no to a dare, who lived for thrills, and who didn't even consider fear when making decisions.  Of course, s

A Typical (hard) Day In The Life

  One thing that I know for sure is this: not all days are created equally. As a most-of-the-time SAHM, I've become familiar with the great days, and the super challenging ones. Each night I go to bed  optimistic that I'm gonna land on a great day the following morning, but with two toddlers going through developmental changes at the same time, the going gets rough! I'm hiding out in the bath as I type this. It's 21:36. Jake fell asleep about 30 minutes ago after a 2 hour long bedtime battle. That kinda day. If you ever wanted to know what it's like to have two toddlers, born 11 months and 22 days apart, here ya go! 6AM. Woke up to Theo poking me and screaming 'Stella! SKY!' (The Paw Patrol girl character, Stella in French, Sky in English, my toddler is fancy and bilingual).  'Sky is in your rubber boot, Honey', I groan as I nudge hubby to get up and let me 'sleep in'. Today I can technically stay in bed until 7, but I don't end up fallin